Saturday, February 7, 2009

croatoan


One story that has always fascinated me, is about the Lost Roanoke Colony.

Here's some text I found about it, for those who don't know what I'm talking about: The first English colony in the New World was on Roanoke Island. There were two major groups of settlers who attempted to establish a permanent settlement at Roanoke Island. Each of the groups failed. The fate of the last group remains an unsolved mystery. In 1587, the English attempted to settle in Roanoke for the second time. John White left the colony to get supplies for the colonists. He expected to return to Roanoke Island within three months. Instead, he found England at war with Spain, and all ships were confiscated for use of the war efforts. Due to the ongoing war, White's return to Roanoke Island was delayed until 1590. When he finally returned, the colonists had disappeared. The only thing he found were the letters C-R-O carved into a nearby tree and the word CROATOAN carved into a fencepost.

So, what do you think happened to the settlers?
I personally believe that they joined an Indian tribe.
Let me know what you think.

Adam F.H. Perry

6 comments:

  1. I wonder if the Lost Colony DNA Project ( http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~molcgdrg/faqs/faqsindex.htm ) was able to find any evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam,
    Luckily I found you.
    Interesting read.
    My idea is that the truth is a mixture of theories. I suspect that indeed some of the settlers did join a tribe, but I think this happened after a large part of them was wiped out.
    Some scientists think it was a virus.

    Have you ever heard of the Croatoan virus?

    Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Adam,
    I finally get the chance to visit your blog.
    Love the storyabout Roanoke.
    Mysteries like that intrigue me.

    I see that we have a common acquaintance (The Secret Organisation).

    I too have been hearing about the Croatoan virus.
    I could use your help.
    Well, you know how to find me.

    Take care buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys.
    Thanks for your comments.

    FOR, I will definitely check out that link.
    I love reading about the lost colony.

    Dante, always good to talk to you! We need to hang out soon as I'm back from my trip.
    It seems that the Croatoan thing is used symbolically for something big. Something that scares the... well, it bothers me. Let's leave it at that.

    Speaking of not being in the U.S.
    T.S.O. before you removed your blog, I noticed that certain parts were in a specific European language.
    (Dante pointed out to me that certain parts of my own blog are in the language of the country in which I'm currently residing - he didn't know where to click :-) )
    However, as your page originally had parts of text in that same language, I wonder, are you following me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam,
    We are everywhere, so no need to worry.
    We will contact you soon.

    In the meantime, here's a suggestion:
    Time might not be as straightforward as you think.
    Open your mind and ditch your watch.

    Someone may very well be who he says he is.

    T.S.O.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There have been other unexplained mass disappearances in recorded history but not exactly like this one. These were like overnight happenings while this could have happened over a period of years. Very interesting discussion here:

    http://www.analogsf.com/aspnet_forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=111

    ReplyDelete